Senior AfOx Visiting Fellowships
The Senior AfOx Visiting Fellows Programme will allow outstanding African researchers to undertake a Fellowship of up to a full academic year at the University of Oxford
The Senior AfOx Visiting Fellowships build on the success of the on-going AfOx Visiting Fellowship Programme. The Senior Fellowships enable sustained engagement including during term time, allowing Fellows to share their expertise broadly across Oxford as well as build broad long-term collaborations with Oxford researchers.
The Senior Fellowships will be aimed at well established, mid to late career African academics and researchers who demonstrate the ability for novel thinking and advancing the frontiers of academic thought as well as strong leadership in contributing towards significant research capacity building in Africa. The proposed research to be undertaken during the Fellowship should make a significant intellectual contribution and address one or more Sustainable Development Goals.
These positions are also suited to faculty members on sabbatical leave from their permanent positions in Africa. We also welcome applications from African non-academics with exceptional levels of achievement in the industry, politics and public life in Africa.
The Fellows will be expected to take part in activities in Oxford including presentation of research to a targeted audience, interdisciplinary activity aimed at an audience beyond the immediate field of specialism, research and/or training events targeted at PhD students and early career scholars, exploration of further collaborative opportunities with groups/individuals, participation in AfOx events, among others.
- The Fellowships are open to applicants from all academic disciplines working on areas that contribute to SDGs. Non-academic professional involved in Research for Development will also be considered
- The applicant must be a national and a resident of an African country, working in an African higher education, research or policy institution
- The applicant must demonstrate extensive engagement with research and development in Africa as well as the value added by the fellowship to their home institutions
- Applications from female and underrepresented researchers are highly encouraged.
- Previous AfOx Visiting Fellows are not eligible
- Students (including undergraduate, Master’s and PhD students) as well as recent graduates are not eligible for the scheme
- The applicant will be required to upload a recent curriculum vitae of no more than two pages and an academic reference letter.
Please note that applications for the Senior Visiting Fellowship Applications are closed for the foreseeable future. Please sign up to our mailing list to keep up to date with our programmes & call for applications.